Having an arrest or conviction on your record can greatly damage your reputation and your opportunities in Louisiana. This means cleaning up your record is one of the best possible steps you can take.At the criminal defense firm of Sanjay K. Biswas, Attorney at Law, we assist individuals in Metairie, New Orleans and throughout Louisiana with expungements, record sealing and related matters. If you retain our lawyer to represent you, he can take the following steps on your behalf:
- Conducting research — Mr. Biswas will carefully review your Louisiana Criminal History (LACH) or “rap sheet” to determine if you are eligible to pursue expungement.
- Drafting and filing the appropriate documents — If you are able to request an expungement, Mr. Biswas will draft a “motion for judgment of expungement” that complies with all the detailed court requirements. He will submit this motion and all other necessary documentation to the court.
- Attending the hearing — The judge will schedule a hearing, at which Mr. Biswas will present your case.
- Ensuring that the judgment is served — Mr. Biswas can make sure that the Louisiana State Police and other law enforcement agencies receive copies of the expungement order, if it is granted. These agencies will then be required to seal your records from public view.
Which Criminal Matters Can Be Expunged?
Not all convictions and arrests can be erased from your record. If you are convicted of a sex crime against a minor, for instance, it cannot be expunged. However, many other misdemeanors and felonies can be expunged. Here are a few types of charges that are often eligible for expungement:
- Assault and battery
- Theft offenses
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Reckless driving or hit-and-run
- Drug possession
- Resisting arrest
- Driving on a suspended license
- False imprisonment
Learn if you may be able to have your criminal record expunged.
Don’t wait to contact Sanjay K. Biswas, an Expungements Attorney in Louisiana, to learn if you may be able to have your criminal record expunged.